Building on a shared vision for the Clinch River Valley, five active action groups are currently making substantial efforts around five goal areas as part of the Initiative:
Vision Statement: By 2020, the Clinch River Valley will be a global destination based on its unique biodiversity, natural beauty, cultural attractions, and outdoor opportunities. This collaboration will bring measurable economic, environmental, and social benefits to the region’s communities while protecting the Clinch’s globally rare species.
- Goal 1: Develop a Clinch River State Park.
- Goal 2: Develop and integrate access points, trails, and campgrounds along the Clinch River
- Goal 3: Enhance water quality in the Clinch River.
- Goal 4: Develop and enhance environmental education opportunities for all community members in the Clinch River watershed.
- Goal 5: Connect and Expand Downtown Revitalization, Marketing and Entrepreneurial Development Opportunities in the Clinch River Valley.
The Clinch River Valley Initiative originated at a forum in the fall of 2010 around Building Local Economies in Southwest Virginia. Since that time, many meetings have been held as part of the Clinch River Valley Initiative, with numerous community events and meetings planned for 2016 and beyond. The Clinch River Accomplishments Document (insert a found here link to crvi logic model and wheel Abridged Version) is a cumulative document that highlights the collaborative progress of the Initiative throughout the Southwest Virginia region. The Initiative is coordinated by the Institute for Environmental Negotiation at the University of Virginia and is supported by numerous local, regional, and state partners.
Special thanks to USDA Forest Service/ Virginia Department of Forestry, Appalachian Regional Commission/ Dept. of Housing and Community Development, Blue Moon Fund, & the University of Virginia, and the Virginia Tourism Commission for supporting this effort.